Thousands of tourists land in Varna each summer in search of a relaxing holiday at the beautiful Black sea resorts, such as Golden Sands, St. Constantine and Elena, Albena, etc. Varna Airport (VAR) serves as a port to the marine capital of Bulgaria and welcomes hundreds of international flights from all over Europe. Bulgaria Air, Wizz Air and Turkish Airlines offer year-round routes from Varna and easyJet, Luxair, Nordstar, SAS and other airlines operate seasonal and charter flights.
As most of the passenger flow at Varna is season-based, and the season in question is summer, lots of flights are delayed or cancelled due to the heavy traffic. There is good news, however: if you have experienced a flight delay or cancellation at Varna Airport in the last 3 years, you may be entitled to compensation from the airline of up to €600 according to EU Regulation 261/2004.
This European (and UK) directive states that air passengers should be financially compensated in case their flight gets delayed, cancelled, or overbooked. The reimbursement ranges between €250 and €600, based on the flight distance and the delay duration.
3 - 4 hours
|€ 250||€ 250||All flights up to 1500 km|
|€ 400||€ 400||
ECAA flights of more than 1,500 km and
/all others between 1,500 and 3,500 km
|€ 300||€ 600||All other flights over 3500 km|
Claim your compensation with SkyRefund
If your flight at Varna airport was delayed or cancelled, SkyRefund will be your trusted partner in claiming your compensation. Our skilled legal professionals are ready to help you in managing all the necessary paperwork and defending your rights before the relevant authorities, ensuring you receive the compensation you are owed. You can check whether you are eligible for reimbursement here and contact us for any other questions or concerns.
Varna airport compensation: requirements
Naturally, there are certain conditions that need to be fulfilled in order for you to be eligible for compensation. We will briefly discuss them below, and if you would like to learn more, you can read our comprehensive article on your rights for compensation.
Flight delay at Varna airport
- The airline bears responsibility for the delay and there are no extraordinary circumstances like:
- Adverse weather
- Bird strikes
- Air traffic control restrictions
- Airport staff strikes
- Terrorist attacks or other security threats
You will be eligible for compensation if the airline’s staff is on strike or there are technical issues with the aircraft.
- Compensation eligibility is determined by your flight's delay in reaching its final destination. A minimum delay of three hours compared to the scheduled arrival time is the basic requirement. This means that if your flight arrives at Varna Airport with a delay over three hours, you will be able to claim compensation. But if your plane takes off from Varna airport more than 3 hours after the announced departure time, the crucial factor will be the delay upon your arrival at your destination.
Flight cancellation at Varna airport
- The cancellation is not due to any extraordinary circumstances (see examples above).
- The airline notifies you about the cancellation less than 2 weeks before takeoff.
- You get offered an alternative flight but it reaches your final destination with a delay of more than four hours.
Even if your flight gets cancelled because of extraordinary circumstances, the airline is still required to provide you with a replacement flight at the earliest possible convenience or to fully refund you for the ticket fare you paid.
If your flight qualifies for compensation according to the above-detailed conditions, do not hesitate to file your claim with us. We will do everything in our power to help you claim your rightful reimbursement.